Dzhanik Fayziev: "Art is to do something in a way that no one else can"
A master class by director Dzhanik Fayziev was held as part of the XV Tashkent International Film Festival "Pearl of the Silk Road".
He answered to questions of those present, spoke in detail about his work, creativity, and the experience he gained at the “Ilkhom” Theater.
Dzhanik Fayziev offered to move away from the format of a master class, move to a free conversation and was open to any questions.
In turn, he asked if there were directors, actors and journalists in the audience. Those gathered raised their hands. Dzhanik Fayziev emphasized that it is important when you know your audience.
Not only the topic of the master class, but also any work in general depends on it, as it is important to know who you are targeting with your work.
- Working in a commercial movie is like getting in the ring with a heavyweight. It's difficult in any case. Not only the laws of dramaturgy are important, but also the times in which you live, so you need to know your audience.
Dzhanik noted the movie "The Fall of the Black Hawk" by Ridley Scott, where there is no love line, it is quite tough, dark, and collected less money at the box office than "Gladiator" by the same director. In the second, more commercial movie, there are already stories of love and relationships, and other facets that influenced the success.
- Give the viewer what he wants, but not the way he expects it, - emphasized Fayziev. - The task of the director to be smarter and more competent, as he studies, analyzes the viewer, while the viewer does not care about the director. A person is either interested in a movie or not, and he doesn't care about the rest. The viewer comes to the movies to enjoy himself.
He also talked about the concept of entertainment, which allows you to achieve this goal.
- Art is doing something in a way that no one else can. Everything I've done, I've always done for pleasure," the director emphasized during his speech. - Example: I have an acquaintance who bakes pies and gladly shares her recipes with others. And they don't make them. Because she does it in a way that no one can repeat, she is a master, it's art. Who says making money from movies is bad? Cinema is a top industry in terms of investment. If you can make money with your art, you are a happy person. If you don't know how to make money with your art, but you do it well, then you are a real master. Someone in finance said that money is energy. And I tell my students that movies are energy. You're obscuring your energy with a matrix.
He gave Steven Spielberg as an example, when he made "Alien" and everyone criticized him at the stage of creation. But he went ahead with it. The result: after its release, it was a commercial success.
- I will not tell you what you need to do to make a movie, - says Dzhanik Fayziev. - It is a complex of knowledge, it can not be taught, all built on the energy of the author.
The speaker was not so categorical, answering the question of whether online platforms will supplant other forms of showing movies and TV series. He believes that they will coexist together.
Dzhanik Fayziev talked about working on the play "Petrushka" at the “Ilkhom” Theater and meeting Mark Weil. He called him a great man: "In terms of wisdom and strength of spirit it was a fantastic man".
Dzhanik Fayziev spoke warmly of Mikhail Kaminsky and emphasized that he misses that time and has returned to the present:
- The Tashkent Film Festival brings people together, a lot of artists, creative people have come. I think the more interested people attend such events, Tashkent, share their knowledge, the faster the film industry will get back on its feet. Nothing can live in isolation," summed up Dzhanik Fayziev.